[Wii/DS] Novidades Nintendo

Um jogo de Wrestling com as personagens da Nintendo havia de ser uma coisa bonita de ser ver....ou não...
O Punchout da NES não serve? (bom... não é bem wrestling, mas...)

NES_Punch_Out.png

Então e quem é que seria o árbitro? :P O Mario não pode estar em dois sítios :D

Se bem me lembro, esteve em desenvolvimento um Pilotwings para a GameCube mas foi cancelado, talvez esta seja uma forma de voltarem a pegar na ideia.

Entrevista geral:

How has the move to Silicon Valley been? Is it done?

Eric Walter:
It is... The folks that moved down from Redmond are all here now. We're still looking to hire, to fill a few spots, but it's been great; the office is fantastic, and we're excited to be a part of Silicon Valley. It's so many game developers down there, obviously, and so many different media outlets that cover the gaming industry. It's nice to finally be in the same place.

We hear that [former Konami PR exec] Mark Franklin is moving over, correct? What position will he be taking?

EW:
He is, yeah! We're excited about that. He's going to be our new Director of Public Relations. I'm excited to work with him. I just briefly met him on Thursday, at the Media Summit in San Francisco, and got about five minutes of his time to just chat. But, you know, I've heard good things about him, and I'm excited to bring him onto the team and get him up to speed as quick as we can, and continue all the good work we've been doing this year.

It seems there's been a lot of shuffling around of executives and companies in the last three months or so. Do you have any thoughts in general on why that's happening right now?

EW:
You know, I certainly can't speak to why other companies are doing it. I know for Nintendo, we thought it made sense to have our Sales and Marketing team down in that area, just because we do work so closely with the third parties. We work so closely with the gaming media, and all of the gaming outlets that are down there, it just made sense for us to be there, and be able to interact with them a lot more frequently than we had when we were based in Redmond.

And Silicon Valley is not just gaming; it's a hotbed for technology in general, and there's a lot of forward thinking going on down there; I think it's nice for Nintendo to become a part of that.

The DS is very popular in Japan, but some developers I've been speaking to have said they're concerned that they feel the software bubble has burst. There was a time when you could put anything out on the DS, and it would sell. Now it seems as if there's somewhat of a glut, making it more difficult to get new titles notice. Can you comment on that?

EW:
We certainly haven't heard that at all internally. I can tell you that the DS is the top selling handheld right now. And, certainly, we've done well, and the titles that we have on the DS reach numerous audiences. Certainly, new players that are just getting into gaming can just jump right on and play, and also the core fan has, for example, the Zelda games, and Advance Wars coming out shortly.

Personally, I think the software that we have for the DS is fantastic, and I know that there's consistently a talk with third parties, of bringing new games to the DS, and so I don't see that slowing down at all.

But on the third party front, as an example, quite a number of "brain training" games come out in Japan with very similar packaging to Brain Age that may not be as good, and therefore there's some consumer confusion, as good as Nintendo's marketing has been. Speaking of marketing, actually: I'm wondering how Nintendo has managed to so successfully market a concept that's relatively more difficult to understand -- when compared to other hardware companies that are having a much more difficult time marketing very traditional type consoles.

EW:
See, I almost feel that it's the opposite of that. I think the Wii console is really, really intuitive, and once people pick it up, they realize how easy it is to play a game. We had some mommy-bloggers that we brought in today for a special kind of lunch, and in talking to them, [we realized] four years ago, we would've never thought to talk to moms who blog about gaming, and now we are.

When you play Wii Sports, or you know, even when you play Super Mario Galaxy, or any of the [other] titles... I think anyone from five to seventy-five can get up and running pretty quickly. And I think that's what's so special, and I think that's why the Wii has been selling like it has been.

It's interesting that Nintendo has managed to hit those targets pretty well, when other things have been multiple-SKU, and confusing to people.

EW:
Sure. A lot of folks always think that there are no games for the "core" on the Wii, and we've only been in the process for ten and a half months now. And I'd say that with the last three or four months, we've had some really great titles, like Metroid Prime 3; we've got Galaxy coming out in November, we've got Smash Bros. coming out in February, and we have Zelda on the DS. So I think there are really a lot of games that definitely reach to that core audience. But we feel like everyone's a gamer, and we want everyone to be involved in gaming and enjoy it. So the more folks we can bring into it, the better.

Do you think core gamers are, are having to change somewhat, too, and appreciate more types of gameplay?

EW:
Absolutely, that's a very valid point. To me, I'm a pro gamer, but I think there's a difference when you play a Pokémon game, which my nine year old niece can play -- but I know tons of core gamers that love Pokémon. I think that's a perfect example.

When Gamasutra spoke to Fountainhead Studios' Anna Kang about the possibility of releasing Doom RPG on DS, she was concerned that the mature market wasn't necessarily there -- and yet, Dementium: The Ward is coming out at the end of the month. Do you think it could be the proving ground for mature titles on the DS?

EW:
Well, I think, we have Advance Wars coming out; that's not an M rated game, but it's certainly not Pokémon. I think that's the great thing about the DS: There's a lot of titles that appeal to an older audience. And we feel like we should give everybody the chance to play the kind of games that they want. Certainly there are some games that we are not going to release, but I think that's the great thing about Nintendo: We have a broad mix of ratings.

There haven't been too many M-rated games, but that seems part of an old perception that's still left over from the past. Plenty of adults play DS.

EW:
And that's what we think, too. It also comes down to our feelings, it comes down to parents, and there are the parental controls on the Wii and for the DS. It's important to be a part of your kid's life, and make sure you're seeing what media they're consuming, you know? Certainly, with the Wii, we have the parental control lock, and we wanna take away games from other folks just because of the kids -- that's why we put those controls in there.

Now that Monster Hunter 3 is announced as a Wii exclusive, there's been some speculation that this game might be the first to "circumvent" friend codes, because it really hinges on group play, and friend codes can be somewhat unwieldy. Will there be some kind of solution to this?.

EW:
We're still discussing that; we don't have anything to announce today. But the way that we think about friend codes is, when folks are online, and they want to play, they typically want to play with their friends. And so, they want to keep it to groups of people they know. We've seen, in the feedback we've gotten, that people don't mind the friend codes. They like them, because it keeps them playing with the friends that they do know, and it keeps their games "undisturbed," if you will.

How is WiiWare coming along nowadays?

EW:
Really well, actually. It's going to launch in, probably, early 2008, so it's just a few months away. We're really excited about it. It gives small developers the chance to really push some games, and push some theories that they've wanted to try for a while, but didn't have the big budgets to do so.

It also gives big, massive video game companies the ability to try out things that would have had to go through a particular marketing channel, and those sorts of things that could get very costly. We have over a hundred titles or so, right now, that are in the works, that we'll potentially launch in 2008. And we're excited; I think it's gonna be really neat. You'll buy the games like you do with your Wii Points Card online.

Will it be released in the way that virtual console games are being released -- 'when they're ready', rather than staged, specific times such as with XBLA?

EW:
We haven't really determined how that's going to work just yet. We're still in the infancy of determining all that.

Do you have the Quality Assurance process set up and streamlined yet?

EW:
I think we're still working through that. We have ideas coming in -- right now, we're pretty much in the creative process, and ideas are trickling in, and we're working with some folks to see what's out there, and And, again, considering it's not coming out for a few more months, were still trying to determine how we'll do that.

Do games have to use motion in it, or can they use the classic controller?

EW:
I think it's really up to them. We're just taking in the ideas, and if it makes sense to put out on the Wii, and makes sense for our consumers, and we think that folks who own Wiis want those types of games, I think we're open to that.

Another WiiWare question -- considering the Wii has a rather small flash drive, how many titles will it be able to hold? For example, even though Crystal Chronicles on WiiWare is not going to be large, it might be difficult to have even ten games of that volume.

EW:
A lot of the games for WiiWare that have been submitted so far are smaller in size, so they're not gonna take up a ton of your drive. But the way that we look at it is, we really don't want people storing every single game they buy on their drive. When you buy a game, it's yours forever, so you can delete it, and go back and get it at any time you want. In a way, we liken it to putting music on your iPod; you listen to it for a while, and then you get tired of it, and you pull it off, and you put some new stuff on.

Having Nintendo actually bring out the Wii Zapper is a big step for the consoles. Was it tough to push it through, or have you received any concern yet?

EW:
We haven't heard anything to that degree. Again, I think it goes back to giving you a whole different way to play a game that never existed before. And I think the Zapper is going to be the same thing. Certainly there will be some games that are maybe a little bit more mature, for the Zapper, but again, I think that's where parenting comes in, and making sure you're watching what your kids are playing.

Could it be that people are more accepting of the Wii Zapper because the design of the actual thing itself doesn't look really like a gun? Was that intentional?

EW:
I unfortunately wasn't part of the design process, so I'm not sure what thinking went into that. But what I can say is that I know the designers constantly think, "What can we do to make this particular game, or a particular game as fun as possible?" And, you know, the Zapper does that for a lot of games.

Can you say, at all, what Retro is working on now?

EW:
I can't. I can tell you they're definitely hard at work, though! I just talked to those guys this morning, in fact, and they're definitely hard at work. There'll be some things coming out, for sure. They're really excited about Metroid Prime 3; it's doing well, and that's a game that I think will see good sales through the holidays.

Certainly, the hardcore ran out and got it right away, and I think as fans start to see that game -- and there are still folks coming to the Wii every day -- it certainly hasn't reached its lifespan just yet. So, I think as people begin to come to the Wii, they'll see that game; and even new players can get into a game like that.

Do you think the Xbox 360 could outsell the Wii during the holidays, because of Wii's constrained sales?

EW:
I can say that the Wii and the DS are the two number-one selling consoles right now, and we're excited about that. We can't keep them on the shelves! I mean, typically it's about a day or two that they stay on the shelves, and we've upped production, and we're trying to get as many out to the shelves as we can. It's literally a demand issue, and we're going to ship 16.5 million this fiscal year, so it's certainly not a small amount!
Fonte: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=15986

RPG Magazine Japonesa:

- Square-Enix está a considerar trazer de volta o Super Mario RPG fazendo uma sequela para a NDS. A sequela iria incluir mais personagens do universo Final Fantasy.

- Ogre Battle pode estar a caminho da Wii, e Yasumi Matsuno (FF:Tactics, Vagrant Story, FFXII...) estaria envolvido

- Camelot está a fazer um Golden Sun para a Wii. Os combates seriam controlados via Nunchuk.
Fonte: http://wiiz.fr/article.php?a=15171

Se fôr verdade... Holy Crap!

(e se de facto "Mario RPG 2/Mushroom Kingdom Hearts" vier a ser verdade... metam-no na Wii)

Última edição:
esse top não é verdadeiro
é apenas uma forma de promoverem o que querem vender
apesar de acreditar que a wii tenha vendido mais que as outras

Entrevista do Miyamoto no Next-Gen, não traz novidades nenhumas, ficamos apenas a saber a opinião do Miyamoto acerca da relação entre os jogos e o cinema e pouco mais:

In this exclusive interview, the creator of Mario talks about his most famous creation, and adds his thoughts on why Hollywood doesn't always get it right with movie adaptations. He also talks about why Wii has been such an overwhelming success.

Narrative is important to all entertainment. Donkey Kong was the first game that introduced a narrative story. Where did you come up with that idea?

I have been a big fan of comics since I was a young boy and so one idea I had in creating that game was to apply a little bit of story to it in order to help people understand the concepts of the game better. It was a similar way to what you see with comics.

What did you like besides comic books?

Actually, another thing that I did when I was younger was that I often would create little flip-book animations and made my own puppets and played with them quite a bit. And when I started working on videogames I realized that it was a very good medium for doing those types of creative activities.

How did Mario, the character, evolve from Jumpman to Mario?

Well, the first thing I should probably explain is that when I originally created the Jumpman character my goal was to be able to use a character in a lot of videogames going forward. This stems from something that we often see in Japan, where comic book artists will create their own character and use that character in a lot of different comics. So I was hoping that Mario, or Jumpman, would be kind of a "Mr. Video" type of character who would appear in lots of different games. When we released Donkey Kong, the character was originally just called Jumpman, but what we found out was that the people had started to call him Mario. And the reason for that was that the character design apparently resembled the landlord of the warehouse that Nintendo of America was using and his name happened to be Mario. So when I heard that the people in the United States were calling my character Mario, I thought, "Oh, you know, that’s a catchy name. That’s a good name. I think maybe we could use that for the character." So there was kind of a character evolution there, where it evolved into something bigger and better.

What are your thoughts on the Disney Super Mario Bros. movie?

Well, when we first initiated talks about a Super Mario Bros, movie, I tried to emphasize the point that the Mario Bros. games are fun as videogames and if we were going to make a Mario Bros. movie, that movie should be entertaining as a movie, and not a translation of the videogame. I think that they tried very hard and in the end it was a very fun project that they put a lot of effort into. The one thing that I still have some regrets about is that the movie may have tried to get a little too close to what the Mario Bros. videogames were. And in that sense, it became a movie that was about a videogame, rather than being an entertaining movie in and of its self.

Did you collaborate a lot with Disney to create this movie?

I didn’t collaborate with them a whole lot. Obviously, I was involved in the initial pitch about them wanting to make a movie. After they had started production and had filmed some scenes, there was a step there where we were a little bit involved.

Was there a big difference between what Disney pitched to you and what the final movie was?

When they came to us with the initial pitch for the movie they had a kind of a very rough outline of what the movie would be and we approved that. As we started to go into production then the theme and the focus of the movie shifted to follow more along the lines of what the videogame was, but I wasn’t terribly involved because my feeling was that I make videogames. I wanted someone who makes movies to create the Mario Bros. movie and that would be the best way for it to be an entertaining movie. But gradually, as they went through production, the movie began to follow the videogame more and more closely.

Why do you think so many translations of video games to films haven’t succeeded?

I think that part of the problem with translating games to movies is that the structure of what makes a good game is very different from the structure of what makes a good movie. Movies are a much more passive medium, where the movie itself is telling a story and you, as the viewer, are relaxing and taking that in passively. Whereas videogames are a much more active medium where you are playing along with the story. In some cases, you are progressing the story yourself, or perhaps you get to a point where it gets too difficult and maybe you give up. So there is interactivity with the videogame that you don’t necessary have with a movie. In that sense, I think the structure of the two are very different and you have to take that into account when converting a videogame into a movie. I think that videogames, as a whole, have a very simple flow in terms of what's going on in the game. We make that flow entertaining by implementing many different elements to the videogame to keep the player entertained. Movies have much more complex stories, or flow, to them, but the elements that affect that flow are limited in number. So I think that because these surrounding elements in these two different mediums vary so greatly, when you fail to take that into account then you run into problems.

How have you seen Hollywood influence videogames?

I think there are two things going on. I think that one, you have people who play videogames and people who make videogames and I found that a lot of those people tend to also be big fans of movies. In that sense, I think that just as those people have been influenced by videogames, they've also been influenced by Hollywood and its history. And simultaneously, I think that people who like movies also have an interest in the creative work that goes into making a videogame and they see some similarities between the two. For example, I think in the movie industry we’ve seen instances in which technology has come along and has allowed a movie to do something that has been very different than what has been done before and it becomes very popular and entertaining. And similarly, in videogames a new technology will come along that will allow for a new interactive development that we’ve never seen in a videogame before and that allows us to take that and turn it into a story and an entertaining piece of work that will then be released to the consumer and then be enjoyed in that way.

Are there any particular movies or TV shows that influence your game making?

I do watch a lot of movies and I'm fan of TV shows. It's really hard for me to pinpoint one particular film or TV show that’s really influenced my work. I would say that probably on a whole, I’ve been influenced by what's going on in film and television. I think in particular, the comedy drama and the tools that they use have been particularly influential in the work that I have done.

There's been so much talk about the convergence of Hollywood and videogames. Where do you see the future of interactive entertainment?

I think that there are a lot of commonalities between the videogame industry and Hollywood in terms of the resources they have to create the work that they are doing. In particular, when it comes to graphics, it can be a very intensive process to create videogame graphics. Similarly, the special effects and computer graphics that Hollywood is using in movies today can be a very intensive process. So I think that there is going to be a lot of opportunity for Hollywood and videogames in the creation of these intensive assets to share the resources. I think there will be more shared assets between movies and games, whether it's a game that’s appearing as a movie or a movie that’s appearing as a game. It's still important to understand that the composition of a videogame is very different from the composition and the structure of a movie. So being able to share those resources between two very talented directors in each of those realms is possible, but they must also work in the game world and film world so the projects can stand independently and are two entertainment pieces.

Why you think the Wii has struck such a chord with consumers, including bringing non-gamers to the table?

Nintendo’s philosophy has always been that we’re an entertainment company and that entertainment is something that is for everybody. We want the widest possible audience to enjoy the entertainment that we provide. The one concern that we’ve had for a long time is that the videogame industry, as the hardware and the technology has progressed, has gotten more and more complex. And in doing so, the potential audiences for those games has gradually diminished to people who only play games. This has been a problem that we’ve felt challenged by and we’d felt for a long time that we had to solve so that we could break beyond the borders of just the videogame audience and once again bring our interactive entertainment to the mass market. I think that we were able to find a solution in Wii because we have our hardware designers and our software designers working together simultaneously. Through their collaboration and their creativity, we were able to come up with a product that we felt would appeal not only to the gaming audience, but maybe be able to break beyond those borders to a wider market. It's something we have been working on for the last 10 years and I think we have finally seen it come to fruition.

So basically what you did was go back to the basics and kept it simple so that everybody could play.

That’s right. We wanted to go back to the drawing board. We felt that we really needed to make videogames something that everybody could pick up and enjoy. In recent years, the controllers had gotten so complicated that many people were afraid or put off by them and didn’t know how to play. We really tried to streamline the controllers and make them as simple as possible so that anybody could pick them up and play and that’s what we have really been striving to do with Wii.

This interview was supplied by John Gaudiosi. Foglight Entertainment has produced a new one-hour documentary for Starz Entertainment called "Hollywood Goes Gaming," which explores the past, present and future of the marriage between Hollywood and videogame companies. Miyamoto is one of many game creators and Hollywood notables that were interviewed for this documentary. The documentary will be in heavy rotation on Starz Entertainment over the coming months.

Está aqui

Não sei já foi colocado por aqui, mas a revista The Economist distinguiu o Miyamoto com o prémio Innovation Award de 2007 no campo dos produtos para o consumidor.

Consumer products: Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo for his leading role in shaping the video-game industry. From the creation of “Donkey Kong” in 1981 to the establishment of the “Mario” and “Zelda” franchises in the 1980s and the current success of DS hand-held and Wii motion-sensing games consoles, Mr Miyamoto helped to bring into being, and then redefined, a new industry.

Podem ler aqui a lista completa.

Rumores do IGN Wii-k in Review:

- doesn't see SF4 on the Wii. not shown the best system for fighters so far
- EA wondering how they can make MySims better. gonna ask Matt and Mark
- don't know what's up with Japan. they're pobably crazy.
- Smash Bros. rumor rosters are bogus
- keen to look into that retail list. thinks it could be real
- lots of stuff coming for Sonic Zero G. looks better than original
- going to get NiGHTS in soon too
- inevitable FF6 remake probably on DS. Square being slow to support Wii. FF Wii predicament weird.
- Super Mario RPG DS would be awesome
- support is ramping up
- Ogre Battle on Wii? don't know, would be surprised. guess it's not that secret Wii older franchise
- Golden Sun 3 Wii all but confirmed
-EGM rumors taken with a grain of salt. FFCCCB probably just being held onto.
-Real Men do not use items
-Fire Emblem improvements: true Wiimote support, faster battle system. would be open to real-time control
-doesn't know how much Smash Bros online will suck. could be gimped, but they don't know
-local will be great, though

Back