[Wii] Spyborgs (ex-Ratchet & Clank Team+Capcom)

Entrevista:

The Spyborgs I played at E3 this year is quite different from the Spyborgs I saw when the game was originally announced. Maybe we’re starting to see developers invest more time in titles rather than rush them to market ahead before their time, like Ubisoft recently did with Red Steel 2. But there’s still more than enough examples of games that weren’t ready for the market but released anyway. Why was the extra time and gameplay change important?

Daryl Allison:
I was hoping this question was going to ask what makes Capcom such a cool company willing to give a game the time it needs. Since you didn’t, I’ll just say that anyway.

With Spyborgs, Capcom set out with certain goals in mind to craft a great, exclusive experience for Wii gamers and Capcom fans who own a Wii. The approach was never about sticking something in a box by a certain date.

Capcom’s US office, which is where I work, is filled with a team who has hands-on development experience. For Spyborgs, our process was far from making sure the developer completed a checklist each month. What mattered most at each milestone was whether the game made an appreciable amount of progress in the right direction. If half the stuff on the list each month was pushed aside for better ideas, ones that the team could only come up with once the game was right there in front of them, then that’s what we were going to do. That process of constant self evaluation brought us to a point during development where we just weren’t happy with how things were coming together. At some point an early version of a game should coalesce and you know if you’re onto something good. Some elements were kicking butt, but the whole experience wasn’t playing how we wanted it to.

Capcom, sticking to those original goals, gave us 3 months to prototype Spyborgs in a new direction – the more action-oriented, cooperative brawler you see today. Three months later we had a deeper combo system, cinematic special attacks, and the epic Eighty-Six boss battle. Capcom liked what they saw, as witnessed by the countless people who would stop themselves as they walked by my desk asking what game was on my screen, and we set forth with a new plan to build the game we wanted to build with the time extension to do it.

Most brawling games are similar to fighting games, in the sense that the player can choose to learn combo attacks and skill to increase their finesse, or slug it out by mashing buttons. So there’s always this question of how design can create a rewarding experience that makes the player want to be better at the game.

Spyborgs uses sequenced motions for combination attacks, working toward a more open and accessible experience. But there’s been a few games that have tried to offer similar controls only to replace button mashing with arm waving and waggle that never seems to achieve the simulated actions developers were aiming for. So I’m hoping you can tell us a bit about your thoughts on this, and how the team approached that with the controls for Spyborgs?

DA:
I can’t tell you how many conversations we had where the team tied me to a stake, lit fire to the ground beneath, and made me swear that I would preserve the sanctity of the fast-twitch brawler at the core of a Wii game with motion. I won’t point out any one game at fault of doing it wrong, but we all have had our experiences where we were pulled out of the game experience because the developer forced us to shake the controller for no reason better than, “well, it’s the Wii, we have to put motion in somewhere.”

During Spyborgs’ development we set out to do things right. We were going to make a game that fans of Devil May Cry and God of War fans would enjoy. Those gamers expect great graphics. Being on the Wii was not an excuse to disappoint them. Similarly, the system has motion controllers. Wii gamers expect their games to implement motion in a good way! Just because other games had done it poorly and, as you mention, brawlers and fighters typical need fast button combos, those were not excuses to shy away from the challenge.

We spent a lot of time on this challenge, actually quite a bit more than I had planned for. We devoted that time though because we understood how important your question is. Motion had to feel good. It had to be part of the experience and not a lame distraction. The brawling had to be true and fast at its core. Our solution sounds simple here, but it was still a lot of work to blend them smoothly together: Keep the core brawler on the buttons and map the motions to elements that enhance the core gameplay.

Go ahead, button mash away and brawl. You’ll have fun. You’ll even succeed at the noob difficulty levels. It’s the special moves where we do cool, cinematic stuff, where the game goes into its Matrix cam and plays with time dilation, where we set things up so that motion really connects players to that experience.

We implemented motion in ways that complimented the core gameplay, not substituted it. Our SpyVision feature is another good example where we take advantage of the IR pointer to let you explore the world, finding hidden objects and some light puzzle solving for power ups and such, all balanced between the intense combat scenes.

When I played the game at E3, the person I was playing with seemed to be getting a little frustrated when I missed my cues for executing sequenced attacks. Do you think that aspect of the game might end some friendships?

DA:
Hey, if you’ve grown into that much better of a gamer than your friend, then it’s time to get a new one. It’s not your fault. It’s your friend’s fault for falling so far behind on his gaming skills. Why should you have to hold back your prowess as a gamer?

Seriously though, the game at E3 had not yet been through its balancing and polish passes. Under the hood is a dynamically tuning difficulty system – one of the benefits from working with ex-Rachet & Clank developers. The game detects how well players perform as a team and adjusts accordingly. It was probably obvious at E3 when one player was holding another back, but it’s a lot smoother now as we subtly adjust tolerances for players who are struggling and then tighten things as you improve.

This is done in a way that doesn’t dumb the game down. One area where this is most impressive is with the cinematic co-op attacks. They’ll slow a bit at a point where the bullet time adds drama, and at the same time allows an extended opportunity to do the motion correctly; and then the attack continues immediately when you do the motion. Advanced players who master the combos, like in a fighting game, can feel all the more skillful as they flow through the attacks, no waiting, just one powerful move after another.

Nintendo of America’s Denise Kaigler recently commented on third party sales for the Wii, saying that - “A lot of Nintendo titles don’t follow that traditional sales curve where they launch big and then that’s it. Our titles have a long tail. They build in popularity, and this could be the case with MadWorld and The Conduit.”

How might this trend influence the way you weigh the results and sales strategy of a title like Spyborgs?

DA:
Honestly, I’m not sure that trend (or any) makes a difference to Capcom. If a game sells a million copies Day 1 or a million over 12 months, the fact is that there are now a million fans out there. I’m confident in saying Capcom has as well as any company funded some projects purely because “if the fans want it, then the fans get it.” Look at Mega Man 9 and try and convince anyone we didn’t build that for the fans. Spyborgs owes its origins as much to that philosophy as anything. Capcom listened to its Wii-owning fans who clamored for us to bring them an action game designed to take advantage of the Wii. Spyborgs being a new IP, like any other, will gain momentum from word of mouth. That we’re a cooperative game as well only helps, as friends will encourage each other to play and see for themselves how much fun the game is.

There are millions of Capcom fans out there who own a Wii. They want us making new games for them. It’s as simple as that. A core part of our mission is to go wherever our fans are.

Do you think it’s still simply a matter of making the best game possible, or is there more that needs to be done to reach that audience beyond a high metacritic rating?

DA:
I think we all wish we lived in a world where quality was all that mattered – if you make it, they will come. Plenty of times it does. Unfortunately, some craptastic games sell too well and too often, and plenty of great games go unnoticed. Fortunately, I was able to be part of giving one of those great games a second chance to be appreciated, bringing Okami to the Wii, and it has sold quite well. It’s good to see that game get the commercial respect it deserves. (And it proves great 3rd party games can sell on the Wii!)

So, yes, quality has to be there. You’re fooling yourself if you go forward with a plan intending to sacrifice quality. More directly to your question, quality isn’t where it ends though. You still have to know your market – what do they want, what do they buy? Someone could come out today with a 100% rated NES game about goats, boomerangs, and unicycles starring Ben Stiller … and, as interestingly entertaining as it might be, I’m willing to bet it would not sell very well.

The Rachet and Clank guys have succeeded. They have Pixar like sensibilities and talent and bring that level of expertise to their game development, which is why when Capcom set out to build a Wii game for its fans it tapped into that talent by working with Bionic Games. There are elements of Capcom games that are both quality and popular. The same applies to classic arcade brawlers. We let ourselves be inspired by all of those, having at Spyborgs core that classic arcade brawler feel while fitting smoothly, but uniquely into the Capcom family of games.

The game is ready and we believe it will be received well. The next step is to get people excited about it. Hopefully, sites like yours continue to give me a chance to share with the fans how cool the game is. Our comic book will soon be digitized and up on Spyborgs.com if it isn’t already. If you get a chance to see the job Udon did with it, it’s pretty freaking cool. And the Webisodes that tell the backstory of the game, just wait until you see what we’re working on right now. The second and third ones are going to really impress people. (And if we get a chance to pull it off, we have plans for something fun at the end of them all.)

Pull all of these elements together and, as long as the game lives up to what it needs to do by providing a fun, quality experience that validates each gamer trusting it with a purchase, and I can assure you that Spyborgs does, then the rest is sales history…
Fonte: http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2009/08/28/qa-catching-up-with-spyborgs/

Última edição:
Mais imagens:

IMG_01.jpg

IMG_02.jpg

IMG_03.jpg

IMG_04.jpg

IMG_05.jpg

IMG_06.jpg

IMG_07.jpg

IMG_08.jpg

IMG_09.jpg

IMG_10.jpg

25 de Setembro bitches! :D

O jogo parece estar mesmo bom, vê-se mesmo que estão empenhados, irá vir para a minha colecção mas ainda tenho alguma prioridades antes deste jogo.

Mais uma entrevista:

First, tell us about Bionic Games. How did it come into being and what is its mission as a studio?

Daryl Allison:
A key team from Insomniac and High Impact Games developed the initial idea for Spyborgs. They established Bionic Games to develop the IP for all media – film, TV, comic books, etc. – with video games leading the way.

Why did your team choose to develop on the Wii right out of the gate?

DA:
Capcom wanted to build an action game exclusive for the Wii to answer the call of the Capcom fans. We didn't know exactly what the game would be at first. We knew it needed to be a cooperative experience. We knew it needed to be exclusively for the Wii, so that the dev team would be focused on creating the best experience for that hardware and not allow the game to be a watered down port. And we knew the developer had to have certain qualities that could live in the same space as Nintendo’s products.

When Capcom crossed paths with Spyborgs we were originally checking out a different concept. As the story goes, we saw some hero concept art on a wall and we were intrigued. We wanted to know more about those characters and their world. The more Capcom learned about Spyborgs and the development team behind it, we knew we found our match.

What's the story of Spyborgs?

DA:
Here’s your Hollywood style answer: Spyborgs is a classic tale of betrayal and revenge.

(laughs) My answer: The Spyborgs are an elite group of government agents, recruited into the Spyborgs Initiative due to their outstanding natural abilities, enhanced with cybernetic upgrades, and turned into an awesome superhero team. An original member of the Spyborgs, Jackal, went rogue, corrupted by his hunger for more power. He covertly made other Spyborgs "disappear" to enhance his own cybernetics by stealing theirs, and in the process lost his humanity. When it was discovered that he and a couple other Spyborgs that had also gone to the dark side were behind the disappearances, that’s where the game begins. Jackal launches an all-out war on the Spyborgs, led by his huge war machine Eighty-Six (he’s an awesomely huge mech), and the remaining Spyborgs – Stinger, Clandestine, and Bouncer – set out to hunt Jackal down.

Some of the back story and hints at some future plotlines can be found via cloaked audiotapes hidden throughout the game, found with the SpyVision ability. The comic book and Webisodes we're also creating tell more of that back story. Assuming the comic book is digitized by the time you read this, you can check it out on the game's website, www.Spyborgs.com, and the Webisodes will be released there too.

The game has an old-school brawler feel. Was that always the intention, or did Spyborgs ever start out in a different genre?

DA:
Playing to the strengths of the Rachet & Clank development experience of much of the team, the original concept had more platforming to it to go with some light brawling. Spyborgs has always been a cooperative action game. The more the co-op action took shape, the more fun and promising it proved to be, and so we shifted gears to develop Spyborgs into a full-blown brawler.

What is Spy Vision and what inspired it?

DA:
SpyVision is the Spyborgs' special sight allowing them to see and capture cloaked objects. SpyVision's inspiration came while solving two gameplay goals. We knew we needed to find a unique, fun use for the IR pointer, something that complimented gameplay. We prototyped a bunch of ideas to get a feel for what we could do with it.

We also needed to provide variety to gameplay, something that felt good to break up the action. You need pacing to set up cool, cinematic moments. That all falls apart if the intensity is set to MAX the entire time. Plus, players either get bored or tired if it is more and more of the same. As our lead designer joked, "You've got to have some salad to go with the meat and potatoes." We needed to give players a reason to not want to just keep running forward hacking at things.

We didn’t intend [to] solve both gameplay goals with SpyVision, but we couldn't deny the fact that the more we played with the feature, the more it gave us what we wanted on both fronts.

Will players be able to upgrade their characters or gain new powers as the game progresses? If so, what does this add to the gameplay?

DA:
(laughs) Spyborgs is a Capcom game, so of course you'll upgrade your character! Players are rewarded for destruction, collection, and for combos. In an homage to Devil May Cry – the cooler and longer your combos, the more you are awarded. Between every stage, and even during gameplay via the pause menu, players have access to the upgrade screen and can purchase whatever upgrades they want to customize their heroes.

The upgrades add armor, upgraded weapons, and new moves – both expanding the core brawler and additional special attacks.

What was behind the game's revamping? It went from having a humorous tone and the feel of a Saturday morning cartoon, to having the feel of something along the lines of Gunstar Heroes.

DA:
Originally, we had about 10 different gameplay types between the platforming, puzzle solving, and action variations. The game jumped between them and short cut scenes like a Saturday morning cartoon and that flow provided the opportunity to set up and payoff humor. That flow also let us insert playable commercials, and with those the team could go crazy with the humor. As the game moved to a more classic brawler at its core (rather than an interactive cartoon), we had to make some tough decisions. We loved the commercials. They were awesome, fun, and funny, but they just didn't feel right anymore. They felt tacked on and became distractions that broke the flow of the game. Removing them was mostly due to making the tough decisions that were best for the game.

Why were the characters Voxel and Kinetic dropped from the roster?

DA:
While no longer a playable character, Voxel still plays a role as the brains behind the outfit. He functions as mission control for the team and is seen and heard throughout the story. As for Kinetic, you'll have to watch the Webisodes and collect the hidden audio tapes to learn more of his fate. (He’s still a Spyborgs, just not the way he was originally…)

As part of the decisions to make Spyborgs an awesome brawler, we needed to ensure our three playable heroes had appreciably different brawling styles. While it goes deeper than this, put simply: Stinger – medium power, medium speed, ranged attack; Clandestine – light power, super fast, precision combat; Bouncer – heavy power, a bit slower, area effect and knockback attacks.

In addition to the variety in gameplay styles, we also wanted to go deep with the upgrades and the variety of combos. We have unique special moves for each combo of heroes against each enemy and against each of the bosses. You start expanding that out to four or five characters and all the different combinations and it becomes either impossible to achieve some of those goals or the variety gets watered down. We knew we could maximize the depth and variety with those three and that meant Voxel and Kinetic had to find new homes.

Who's your favorite character?

DA:
That's like asking a parent to name a favorite child. As much as I love Bouncer and Clandestine, I have to go with Stinger. When his ranged combat got in there and we started tuning his heavy and light attack combos, he really brings something new to this style of brawler. Slamming enemies around with his tractor beam weapon doesn't hurt either. Using it to grab onto Eighty-Six's arm and getting that big robot to punch itself in the face never gets old.

Were the co-op finisher moves planned from the beginning?

DA:
We had the concept of a team attack in there from the beginning. The original was more of a single move each hero would do when fully powered to trigger a screen-clearing bomb. The original game had a lot more breadth and found its variety richness in other things. With brawling as the focus, we went deep with the team attacks and now have over 50 of these unique, cinematic, special attack combos.

Did the team ever consider online co-op multiplayer?

DA:
It was often up for discussion, but we had to weigh the cost of implementing it against the benefit of all the other cool stuff we could do with that same amount of time. Doing online and making sure it doesn't feel tacked on is not cheap. We wanted to make sure we nailed gamers' first experience with Spyborgs and so we dedicated all our effort more into polishing and expanding upon complimentary gameplay features. Should a Spyborgs sequel roll around, there's a good chance you can count on an equally robust online component.

How are boss fights integrated into the game, and what makes them unique?

DA:
Like your classic brawler, there's a boss commanding each section of the game world. Battle your way through all the stages and that chapter climaxes at its boss battle. The bosses really gave the game a chance to show off what the engine can do. I have no doubt Wii gamers will sit back in awe having not seen bosses this big or battles as intense as some in Spyborgs. A lot of games also disable special attacks in their boss battles. Spyborgs not only lets you keep all your upgrades and use all your special moves, but we also give you unique ways to use them against the bosses and customize the special co-op attacks to each boss. You don't just swing your sword at Eighty-Six, you climb up him, drive your sword into his mechanic eye, and back flip off of him back into battle.

Your staff includes former Insomniac, High Impact and Blizzard employees. Is there anything that your staff learned from their experiences at those other developers that directly influenced the design or development of Spyborgs?

DA:
Can I say everything? I was constantly surprised at all the tricks they'd pull out with how they built the environments, how they pushed the hardware with the lighting and particle effects. Fans of Rachet and Clank games will definitely feel a signature style in the way the characters move and just how much fun it is to run around breaking everything. The collectible system, the unlockables, and all the extras added to enhance replay definitely came from their experience working at those top development studios. It was a great experience working with those guys.

What games inspired you guys during the making of Spyborgs?

DA:
There must have been two or three different games in the game room every week. I saw everything from Zelda and Mario to see how Nintendo did certain graphics effects or how they implemented motion; games like Devil May Cry and other Capcom classics to ensure elements that made Spyborgs feel true to a Capcom game; well-known games like God of War and Ninja Gaiden for the strengths and weakness of their combat systems and cinematic boss battles; all the way to some of the most obscure games that I would have never heard of if not for all the research these guys did. If I could only remember who that dual-sword wielding bikini cowgirl was… What was her name?

What’s next for Bionic Games?

DA:
You already know the pedigree of that team and you can see the quality of their work in Spyborgs. No doubt there is promising stuff in their future. If I revealed their secrets now I'd probably wake up tonight with Bouncer staring down at me, only to be found later somehow stuffed inside of a can of dog food. I still have a few more games in me. I'd rather not suffer such a fate any sooner than I need to.

Any final thoughts you want to offer our readers?

DA:
Third party developers are at last figuring out the Wii. We're seeing some pretty good games for the system as teams focus on the hardware and stop shoveling shit at it. Action gamers have been waiting for a brawler that uses the motion controls right and shows what the Wii hardware is really capable of. Don't believe me? Then look at all the games that this team has worked on in the past: Insomniac, Blizzard, Naughty Dog, etc... and who's publishing this game, Capcom. And if that doesn't excite you, then sell all your games and systems now. You'll need the money to pay for your therapy sessions! Trust me, you’ll be happy to add Spyborgs not just to your library of Wii games, but to the collection of all your favorites.
Fonte: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=19876

Ou seja... é uma mistura de Ratchet & Clank com DMC. Isto à partida é excelente... vamos ver quando chegar.

Espero mesmo que tenha combos fixes!

A Ngamer nao concorda connosco...
Graphics :8
snazzy cartoon universe dressed up with visual trickery rarely seen on wii

audio :5
bvvt. click. Shrik. Krang. Tk-Tk. grrg Chkchk. In summary: lots of robot noises

gameplay :5
simple, but without the base thrills to justify the simplicity. We were spybored

innovation :2
we`ve been beating up goons since we were knee-high to a lead pipe.

Summary: 60%
really want to hit something? Buy £40 of wii points and download streets of rage 2, street gangs, comix zone and vigilante..and mystical ninja.

Fonte
Ao menos o jogo tem bons graficos, mas penso que tenham sido crueis e injustos no resto, mas tambem a opiniao que conta é a minha por isso e ver para crer :p.

Já a tinha lido... o qe me preocupa é que são críticas concretas.

Fico a aguardar por mais feedback, especialmente da malta, mas o que é um facto é que sempre tive um mau pressentimento quanto ao jogo e, mesmo com excelentes imagens, houve sempre algo que me fez dizer "mehhhh"...

Back