Os projectos de Johnny Chung Lee

Simplesmente brilhante! A Nintendo realmente deveria por os olhos nestes videos.

Como é que é possivel ainda nenhum developer ter tirado proveito disto... :wow:

ainda n percebi mto bem... o que é preciso para fazer isto?
Depende, dado que há várias coisas aí e ele explica como faz e o que precisas. Fora isso e ele não diz, mas é mais ou menos universal... é ter um computador com bluetooth (ou acessório com esse propósito) e um Wiimote.

Última edição:
Não consigo deixar de imaginar um jogo de luta (por exemplo boxe), onde lutamos só com as maos (sem comando) e com adversários a "saltar do ecrâ".

Se a Nintendo desenvolvesse um super punch-out com este conceito era muito muito bom. :D

Foi premiado:

The Wizard of the Wii: CMU grad's 'tinkering' leads to innovator award

lee_500.jpg

Honored for his inventiveness, Johnny Lee said he decides to pursue a project based on what he describes as a "work-to-wow ratio."

That's to say, he opts to minimize the work and maximize the "wow" of his creations. With that formula, Dr. Lee has created inventions in a matter of days that have become international sensations.

Those inventions include using a Nintendo Wii remote and a traditional television set to create a whiteboard -- a white virtual reality screen on which one can write or produce images -- at a fraction of the cost of actual whiteboard systems.

A wizard of the Wii, he also used the motion-sensing remote and infrared lights attached to eyeglass frames to produce a method by which 3D images project from the video screen. The images also move and change perspective based on head movements of the person wearing the glasses. Already the device is scheduled for use in an upcoming line of video games.

Based on such creations, Technology Review 2008 named Dr. Lee as one of the world's top 35 innovators under the age of 35. The review lauds his ability to find new high-tech uses for existing electronics that help people beat the high cost of technology.

The September issue of Technology Review features Dr. Lee and the other "TR35 Young Innovators," who will be honored Sept. 23-25 during the EmTech08 Conference in Cambridge, Mass.

"When the Nintendo Wii came out, most people saw a fun new way to play video games," the review's online entry for Dr. Lee states. "Johnny Lee saw a surprisingly good infrared camera that could make innovative computer interfaces affordable."

Dr. Lee's novel use of the Wii remote made him a standout on YouTube.com, where one of his videos has been viewed 6 million times. His inventions also drew spontaneous applause and a standing ovation after he demonstrated them onstage during the 2008 Technology, Entertainment, Design Conference in Monterey, Calif.

Dr. Lee, 28, of Redmond, Wash., received a doctoral degree from the Human-Computer Interaction Institute at Carnegie Mellon University's School of Computer Science. He works for Microsoft's Applied Sciences Group.

Paul H. Dietz, research and development program manager for the Applied Sciences Group, said Dr. Lee is "a great addition to the TR35."

"I've worked with Johnny Lee for the better part of a decade," said Dr. Dietz, Dr. Lee's manager at Microsoft. "He is one of the most pragmatically creative researchers I know. The secret to his particular brand of technical wizardry is that he takes relatively ordinary things, adds a bit of electronic and software 'glue,' and shows how you can create magical experiences."

That ability to use few resources to get amazing results has turned Dr. Lee into what one Carnegie Mellon computer science associate professor describes as a MacGyver-like inventor.

"The world would be a better place if there were more people like him
," Dr. Luis von Ahn said.

Dr. Lee, a native of Richmond, Va., said his approach involves "exploring new ways to interact with computers and get information in or out of the computer."

"My projects are relatively simple with an impact on a lot of people," he said. "I tend to tinker, but once I have a crisp idea of what to do and a way to actually do it, most of my ideas are relatively simple."

The award, he said, was unexpected.

The TR35 were chosen from an international pool of 300 nominees. Dr. Lee credits Carnegie Mellon for fostering his tinkering talents.

"It was the best place I could have gone in the country, with the right mix of people with different backgrounds and the freedom to explore things as a graduate student
," he said.
Fonte: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08246/908660-96.stm

(...) A wizard of the Wii, he also used the motion-sensing remote and infrared lights attached to eyeglass frames to produce a method by which 3D images project from the video screen. The images also move and change perspective based on head movements of the person wearing the glasses. Already the device is scheduled for use in an upcoming line of video games. (...)

Reparei que não sublinhaste a parte que me despertou maior interesse :lol: e passo a citar: "Already the device is scheduled for use in an upcoming line of video games". :wow: Que "line" será essa? :p Presumo que não vá ser utilizado com a Wii ou já teriamos ouvido algo da parte da Nintendo... ou não? :confused:

Reparei que não sublinhaste a parte que me despertou maior interesse :lol: e passo a citar: "Already the device is scheduled for use in an upcoming line of video games". :wow: Que "line" será essa? :p Presumo que não vá ser utilizado com a Wii ou já teriamos ouvido algo da parte da Nintendo... ou não? :confused:
Não... refere-se à Wii, mas eles não sabem bem do que estão a falar. ^^'

Basicamente ele quando mostrou o head tracking foi contactado por vários estudios, incluindo a Electronic Arts, e na Game Developer Conference deste ano, a Electronic Arts mostrou o Boom Blox a fazer o dito mas tal opção não estava na versão final, salvo erro pela necessidade de um acessório [se não viste, vê os videos do headtracking percebes melhor como é feito] de forma que por "linha de jogos" há é mais do que um estúdio interessado... mas não há propriamente uma "linha de jogos que o usem" especialmente jogos comerciais.
è preciso caneta de infravermelhos, certo?
para o White board? creio que sim.

Boas,

Por acaso chegou hoje a minha ir pen que encomendei do Reino Unido, numa de experimentar a cena... O processo é simples... Bluethooh connectado com o comando Wii, fazes a calibração (tens de ter uma pen com leds na ponta, a minha tem um botão que funciona como botão direito do rato)´e voilááá....

Único inconveniente, é estranho estares a passar o plástico da caneta no teu pc, mas isto é da empresa caguei. Falta ainda testar em retroprojector, penso que aí pode ser de facto uma mais valia...

Não sei se utilizam o programa do Johnny Chung Lee, mas pesquisando no google ou www.wiiremoteprojects.com encontram outros programs do estilo que permitem calibrar melhor e fazer mais uma série de coisas que ainda não explorei... Contudo interessante e barato

Espero que tenha contribuido para algumas dúvidas :)

Diogo guilherme

Back