ID Software e Valve falam da Wii

Portal=zonas fechadas

Metroid Prime 3=misto, mas muitas zonas abertas

Só por isto... comparações perdem um bocado o sentido de serem feitas, óbvio que podes puxar muito mais detalhe poligonal em espaços fechados. Assim como pelo trabalho de texturas, que no Portal se repetem constantemente por cenário (facilitando a quantidade que a RAM tem de manter carregada) enquanto que no Metroid Prime é orgânica e carregas montes delas por nível.

E há ainda a questão das framerates; Metroid Prime passa a maior parte do tempo a 60 frames (e tem esse target) e o Portal? ok, depende do hardware no caso do PC; mas o que te diz que o target na Wii seria esse?

Sinceramente vejo mais dificuldades em fazer um Half Life 2 Episode 2 no standard dos PC's actuais na Wii do que um portal. E se o Portal é mais dificil de correr face ao mesmo nos PC's, tenho de sugerir falta de optimização.

Última edição:
Portal=zonas fechadas

Metroid Prime 3=misto, mas muitas zonas abertas

Só por isto... comparações perdem um bocado o sentido; óbvio que podes puxar muito mais detalhe poligonal em espaços fechados; e há ainda a questão das framerates; Metroid Prime passa a maior parte do tempo a 60 frames (e tem esse target) e o Portal? ok, depende do hardware no caso do PC; mas o que te diz que o target na Wii seria esse?

Sinceramente vejo mais dificuldades em fazer um Half Life 2 Episode 2 no standard dos PC's actuais na Wii do que um portal. E se o portal é mais dificil de correr face ao mesmo, tenho de sugerir falta de optimização.

E se o Portal é mais dificil de correr face ao mesmo nos PC's, tenho de sugerir falta de optimização.

só quem nao entende nada de software/hardware é que diz o contrario... Portal é um jogo muito mal optimizado. Tem exactamente os mesmos gráficos do HL2. O que ja era de esperar... mesmo engine e texturas.

MP3 maus graficos? inferiores ao Portal? quem dera a Valve ter feito um trabalho tao bom como a Retro fez no MP3....

p1000411on7.jpg

Wtf, não me venhas dizer que fui eu que disse que tinha maus graficos, so acho os do Portal mais bonitos, é tudo.
MP3 tem uns graficos brutais sim senhora, mas são opiniões.

não sei se já mencionaram:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=188138

"There's a lot of people at Valve who are parents and would love to make a game for kids," Valve's Doug Lombardi told us recently.

"We all play the Wii a lot and we think that the proper way for Valve to approach the Wii would be to make something cool designed specifically for it." he added, when quizzed on the possibility of Valve venturing away from its usual FPS scene.

"I mean, I'm not making any announcements", he continued, "but there's a lot of desire internally to do something for kids, do something on the Wii."

*sigh* .. que tal tentarem algo ao nivel de half life para a Wii...

Bom, se alguém arranjar o e-mail de feedback ou PR/relações publicas da Valve eu pelo menos mando um e-mail, não que adiante de alguma coisa; mas já ontem andei à procura e estranhamente não encontrei.

Mostra-lhes a quantidade de pessoas que cujo 1º objectivo assim que se conseguiu usar o wiimote no PC, foi jogar half-life com ela. A "scene" e o youtube comprovam-no. O Glovepie vem com pelo menos 4 scripts diferentes para jogar half-life com wiimote.

"but there's a lot of desire internally to do something for kids, do something on the Wii."

E pronto, tinham que vir com esta cena dos "putos"...*sigh* mas será que os developers nem vêm as estatísticas que revelam um público adulto bem grande na Wii.
Não me quero armar em treinador de bancada mas se fosse responsável de uma produtora de jogos explorava de imediato o mercado de jogos mais adultos e de high-budget para a Wii pois qualquer um vê que há MUITA procura deste tipo de produto. É uma mina de ouro á espera de ser explorada.
Tá na hora de acordar os ceguinhos dos developers:nie2:

Mais ID Software:

You’ve got all the platforms except one. Could someone theoretically use a light version of id Tech 5 to develop a Wii title?

Carmack:
We could port the Megatexture stuff over, we could port most of the engine over there, but you wouldn’t be able to use the same set of original content. There’s a bigger gap there. We don’t have any major intention to port this entire technology platform to the Wii. What I am kind of hoping for is if Orcs and Elves is big on the DS I want to do Orcs and Elves for the Wii. You know wave the wand in the air.(laughs) My whole reverse engineering for the platform. I still have high hopes for that. Start on mobile, go to the DS, go to the Wii. Then maybe wind up on the 360, PC.

I’m thrilled that Nintendo has had great success with the Wii because while Nintendo has never been my favorite company – relationships between id and Nintendo – we’re not a good match in general. We match better with Microsoft with how they position the 360. But one of my tenets that’s near and dear to my heart is the significant improvements that are going to be done are with IO devices and the Wii I think is a really good demonstration of that. They’ve taken something that’s much less powerful but it has an innovative IO device. But the fact that they did something different it added a lot of value.

Do you play the Wii a lot?

Carmack:
Not a lot. I’ve got a Wii. My almost three-year-old boy, I got that out so we could wave things around there. I play a little bit but I don’t play a huge amount of video games in general. No time. [of all consoles] Mario Kart is the last game I played reasonably. That type of thing is fun.
Fonte: http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200708/N07.0803.1731.12214.htm

Última edição:
Mais uma entrevista com o Gabe Newell:

What about the console conundrum? That seems to be a nut you haven’t cracked. You seem to be very comfortable with 360, but I do remember a while ago that you said you were interested in Wii, then you said you weren’t…

Gabe Newell:
No no no. I think Wii is a great box. I’m really interested in stuff they’ve taken forward in terms of input. You know, we’re a 150 person company. There’s a limit to how much we can get done.

Are you interested in stepping outside the shooter genre? Any chance of a Valve MMO?

GN:
We’re always interested, but let me put it this way: I would love to do a Wii game, and how many Wii games have we shipped? So, it’s just a question of having way, way too many ideas for our ability to execute. If people things are bad now, if we were trying to do a Wii MMO at the same time our schedules would be measurable in centuries.
Fonte: http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/08/21/gc08-one-on-one-with-valves-gabe-newell/

Gabe Newell fala da Wii:

Gabe Newell: The thing is I’m a big fan of the Wii in terms of a lot of the interesting things that it does, and we have absolutely zero Wii games in development. There’s always so much more that we’d like to do that we could do. We have a bunch of MMO fans inside of the company that would kill to be working on an MMO….

…including you?

Gabe Newell:
Myself included. [Laughs] A Wii MMO! Woo-hoo! We have nobody working on such a beast. Magically, if we could increase ourselves in size, then we can do a lot more of this stuff.

The Wii obviously has a huge install base. Third-parties have been cranking out Wii games left and right, and they’re generally not that fun. You have obviously looked into the hardware — what do you think companies need to do to make a good Wii game that also appeals to hardcore gamers? What do you think is lacking?

Gabe Newell:
The Wii is no different than 3D. After Doom came out, there were literally 400 Doom clones that came out over the next 18-24 months. Most of them were really terrible. Everybody saw that there was an opportunity, and people’s attempts to exploit that opportunity were pretty feeble. I think the Wii is the same way. Everybody was ignoring it until launch; people weren’t expecting it to do well; there wasn’t a ton of third- party development investment going on — and then it exploded. And then everybody immediately raced to ship Wii titles as fast as they possibly could. I think the quality really suffered.

You have to really think hard [about] what makes a game better with that kind of input system and how to do it. I don’t think there is anything fundamentally casual versus hardcore about the opportunity it represents — [more like] the difference between being thoughtful about your game design and how you’re taking advantage of the platform versus “Oh my god! We have to have some Wii product shipping [so] that we can make some money and take advantage of this huge unexpected groundswell.”
Fonte: http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3170080

Pelo menos está mais consciente do que se passa com os jogos que são lançados do que muitas software-houses... só nos próximos lançamentos a Ubisoft é só porcaria...

Pelo menos está mais consciente do que se passa com os jogos que são lançados do que muitas software-houses... só nos próximos lançamentos a Ubisoft é só porcaria...
Para fazer algo, que façam algo bom, e sim, o gabe newell tens consciencia plena disso como aliás demonstrou (o retrato que ele fez é spot-on e vai de encontro à "história" dos birdmen... que eles decerto não são)

De qualquer maneira e pela atitude que demonstraram, não creio que seja o caso com estes tipos, por isso... venham eles.

Carmack de volta ao ataque:

You’ve said in the past that you didn’t think ID titles would be on the Wii (specifically the Rage Engine). Is that still the case?

Carmack:
Interestingly, I actually spend far more time playing Wii with my four year-old boy than I do with any other game console. So I’m definitely sympathetic to the platform. But “Rage” is not a viable option on the Wii because of the technology. We’ve been pitched and talked about a project to do a title that would fit well on the Wii, and it’s actually related to an iPhone title that we’re doing. But that’s still kind of up in the air as to what other developer we would partner with on there. I’d like to do something there, because I love a lot of what Nintendo has done with the Wii and the DS, but it’s just out of sync with the developments that are currently going on at id.

Do you feel you’d have to create a new IP? Or at least a new game from the ground up for the Wii?

Carmack:
Yeah, it would have to be a completely different game. We would use one of our existing IPs where we have a little bit of leverage. It’s not something that really any of our titles, that are under development currently would be appropriate for.

And id is currently working on a title exclusive to iPhone?

Carmack:
We actually have a lot of things going on with the iPhone now. We have two commercial projects that are closing in on done. We’ve taken one of our traditional mobile games, “Wolfenstein RPG” which was just released on the BREW and Java platforms. (...) We have another title, which isn’t announced formally, and we’ve been working with a partner company here locally in Dallas, that is designed from scratch for the iPhone but using some existing id assets on there. And it’s very graphically impressive but we don’t have an official release date for it yet. We’re having various challenges with that development. (...)

So that one particular iphone title you mentioned that you’re having trouble with — is that the one that will potentially be a Wii title?

Carmack:
Yes, it could possibly lead into it. Not directly from that, but a very similar concept for something.
And I know that’s very cryptic. [laughs] But we haven’t made an official announcements about it because we’ve had some difficulties during the development. And we don’t want to announce something and then retract it. We want to make sure it turns out good before we actually talk about it.

(...)

And if there’s a Wii title, would you see yourself being heavily involved in that?

Carmack:
There’s an interesting bit of technology — the idea is that we would be setting up the game in such a way that we would deal with some of the “Rage” content pipeline for the Wii. While we can’t do a freeform game like that, we could do a limited-scope game in a particular way so there would be a core bit of technology to develop there that would let it do something really visually stunning in a more limited game framework. And that would be the work that I would set off at the beginning of that. But that’s something we’ve had brief discussions with publishers [about]. At this point, we’re making sure that the core gameplay actually works out well first before inking anything.
Fonte: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009...-possible-wii-development-iphone-doom-4-more/

Bem cada vez que voltavam ao tema o homem falava mais :p Pelas ultimas coisas que ele disse a filosofia "limited-scope" lembra-me o DOOM3 enquanto projecto e o que realmente estava a fazer com o hardware da altura. Já se despachavam a meter isso em produção. :D

Back