Fonte Thortech Thunderbolt Plus 800W

RSC

Suspenso
Power supply newbie Thortech is aiming to get some attention with its second product, the Thunderbolt Plus 800W unit which features a modular design, is 80Plus Gold rated and comes bundled with a 5.25-inch control panel that provides monitoring and enables a little tweaking.The new 800W PSU supports the ATX 12V V2.3 and EPS 12V V2.91 standards, has a Active PFC, a single 12V rail, a MTBF of 100,000 hours, a 135 mm ball bearing fan and is backed by a five-year warranty. No word on pricing.

thortechthunderboltplus800w01.jpg
(http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/...nderbolt-plus-psu-come-525-inch-control-panel)

--//--

Review @ jonnyGuru

TB800G035.jpg

(...)

Performance (40% of the final score) - The Thortech Thunderbolt Plus 800W Gold unit performed really well. Voltage regulation was good but not great with the 3.3 coming in at 3.64% during hot testing. Efficiency was excellent, although my unit did just miss Gold standards during the 50% and 100% load tests. Ripple suppression was great as well with the minor rails only hitting 21mV while the 12V rail stayed below 41mV. Transient tests showed no signs of weakness either. When we look at the included iPower Meter, it would be nice to see it be a little more accurate during the low/high load tests. Most of us are going to choose this unit to power a system that typically uses 40% - 60% of its capacity, which is where the iPower Meter is providing its most accurate results. I'm going to have to go with a score of 9 here.

Functionality (20% of the final score) - Although the Thunderbolt Plus isn't 100% modular, I think Thortech made the right choice on which cables to have fixed. Add in the modular cables and you should be able to power just about every configuration that requires a 800W unit. The cable lengths are on the slightly longer side compared to some of the other 800W units, which will help with cable management. Not to mention the additional items that come with the Thunderbolt Plus. I think I'm going to have to give it a 10 here.

Value (30% of the final score)
- The Thunderbolt Plus 800W Gold will be hitting the market with a MSRP of $239.99. This is high compared to other units in its class, but keep in mind that they do not provide a digital control panel which obviously elevates its price a little. Still keeping that in mind, I'm going to have to go with an 8 here for value.

Aesthetics (10% of the final score)
- One of the first things I seen that I liked about the Thunderbolt Plus was the fact that they moved the specification sticker to the bottom of the unit, and had nice looking stickers on the sides of the unit. With its Matte black finish, the black sleeving blends in well, but I would have liked to seen the sleeving make it all the way to the connectors. I'm going with a 9.5 for aesthetics. When we put this all together, we get a total score of 9, and thus the unit gets a "jonnyGURU recommended".

Performance - 9
Functionality - 10
Value - 8
Aesthetics - 9.5
Total Score

(http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=205)

Back